Sunday, August 20, 2017

The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky

Last night we went to bed at 6 p.m. with the idea of getting up at midnight and leaving for Paducah, Kentucky and hoping to avoid Eclipse travelers.  When we got up, there were still smells of campfires in some camps and even a dad and little 3-4 year old girl walking around!  And, it was midnight.  Once on the road, it was quite crowded through Pigeon Forge - there must be a lot of night owls out. The freeway also a bit crowded and my worst fears were coming true...or so I thought. After about 30 miles (Knoxville) the freeway weaned out and we were only on the road with a few cars and trucks. Our idea may work after all! I'm hoping to see Corona II: the Eclipse Quilt at the National Quilt Museum.  In Nashville, the town was again congested about 2:30 a.m. but we got away from that soon enough.  Nashville is supposed to be the largest city within the path of totality for the eclipse.
Corona II: Total Eclipse
At 5:30 a.m. we had arrived in Paducah, Kentucky and nice, quiet roads.  We lost an hour so we arrived an hour ahead of schedule, which was nice.  The Farmers Market Parking Lot that we were told to park in from Harvest Hosts and had confirmed with the National Quilt Museum was virtually EMPTY right on the Ohio River!  I couldn't believe it!  I was hoping that there would be at least 1 vacancy and we had the whole lot to ourselves!  For boon docking, this is a GREAT location!  It's right downtown with shops, restaurants, walking along the Ohio River and concerts.  The National Quilt Museum is across the street.  If it had hook-ups it would be 4 stars!  There is a bathroom set to 60 degrees on the far side of the lot by the mural wall.  It's a GREAT location!!
Parked right next to The National Quilt Museum!
Once we parked, we walked over to the Raymond C. Schultz Park on the Ohio River just on the edge of the parking lot and enjoyed 68 degree cool breezes coming off the river.  That was the last of a cool day!  Scott had slept while I drove so by the time I parked and walked the dogs I was exhausted and went to sleep for 3 hours.  I woke up at 9 a.m. to sweat dripping off me.  We don't have air conditioning in the RV when we aren't plugged in and it was HOT!  HOT!  HOT!  HOT!  I went back to sleep for another hour hoping I was wake up and not be hot, but it was even worse.  Scott bought 2 electric fans before we left Pigeon Forge, anticipating the heat, but they didn't even make a dent in the heat.  We sat in the living room MISERABLE and the poor dogs were panting profusely.  
Our GREAT spot!
Had the whole lot to ourselves!
Sun coming up over the Ohio River
Raymond C. Schultz Park Sign...the sun just came up.
We talked for an hour and Scott made an executive decision to drive 2.5 hours to Bowling Green and buy two Honda 2000 generators.  He took the dogs with him to keep them cool while I suffered another hour in the heat and then took a cool shower and dressed to go next door to the National Quilt Museum by 1 p.m.  We originally wanted to go to church, but we were so tired, miserable, and stinky from the heat, I decided to spend the sabbath seeing the quilts and enjoying the talents of others. By the time I was done showering I had been noticing people parking near us and heading over to the museum, so I went over at 12:30 p.m. and they must have opened earlier today because of the eclipse and people coming to Paducah.  All the better for me!  I stayed in the museum for 5 hours staying in the air conditioning.  
The National Quilt Musuem
The man giving the tour (I did a self guided since I am a quilter) was the one who we called for permission to stay in this parking lot, and I could hear what he was saying. He asked if any of the people on his tour were quilters and only one person was...a man.  He asked if there were any longarmers and he was trying to describe how we quilt. So, I popped over and said I was a longarmer and helped him out for 3-4 minutes explain the process to the group.  The male quilter then came over and wanted one of my business cards but I told him I retired last year.  Then, I finished viewing all the beautiful quilts and went back to the RV for a little lunch and headed back over.  The parking lot was now filling up with bicyclers, 8 RVs and a bunch of cars.  I'm sure glad we came when we did!  No photos were allowed of the quilts, so I found these web photos online.  These are a sampling of what was on display.
One of my favorite quilts.  I loved the quilting.  (Web Photo)
(Web Photo)
2017 Paducah Best of Show (Web Photo)
Libby Lehman Featured Quilter (Web Photo)
I shopped in their little store for at least 1.5 hours before buying a pattern and 6 charm packs to make a cute quilt with.  And, I bought a Paducah pin. I noticed that Eleanor Burns' shop Quilt in a Day is just across the street and Paper Pieces is about 4 blocks down.  Hancocks of Paducah is about 3 miles down the road toward the freeway.
(Web Photo)
After doing all my business there I sat in a conference room with a few other people waiting for the clock to tick to closing. Finally, 5 p.m. came and I had to go back into the heat.  Fortunately, while the RV was 98 degrees inside, the outside was cooler with a nice breeze off the Ohio River, so while I opened the ceiling vents to let hot air out, I sat outside with the sun against the size of the RV and let the breeze cool me off.  I did take a few photos of the museum interior that you can enjoy.
Next to the welcome desk
Entrance Area (Conference room through the doors above left) 
Museum Shop Entrance
More of the shop.  This lady was so cute to stand still for the photo. 😊
Quilt section of the shop
Stained Glass Windows
Another Stained Glass Window
Finally, Scott came back with the generators, gasoline and locks for them.  We set them up and then headed off to dinner at Tribeca Mexican just 2 blocks down the street.  There must have been something happening today because there were concerts all day long and we passed a cute band on the street.
When we came home, the RV had cooled off by 10 degrees and even now I think it's down at least 10 more.  Hallelujah!!  As I look out over the parking lot, there are 6 RVs and some cars.  I can't believe no one thought of this parking lot! Maybe we'll survive this eclipse after all!  I guess since we're here we'll make lemonade from lemons.
We have the LONGEST viewing area...2 minutes 41.6 seconds!
Tomorrow I'll head to Hancock's of Paducah and Paper Pieces before the eclipse and then hibernate. We don't have eclipse glasses but I understand you can view it with your cell phone in selfie mode.  So, we may try that. 

It's 9 p.m. and I'm hot, tired and exhausted!  We'll be here all day tomorrow and then on Tuesday off to Union, Missouri for Tuesday and Wednesday nights.  Then, at Scott's brother's house outside St. Joseph, MO for Thursday and Friday (and go to my two favorite quilts shops - Quilter's Station in Lee's Summit, MO and Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, MO).  Then, we'll just buzz our way home after that and hopefully be home late Sunday.  I for one will be glad to get out of the humidity and back to western weather.

Nighty, night!  Until the big day tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment