Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Elvis Presley Birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi

Scott left early on Saturday to have the truck at the Ram dealership by 9 a.m. and I headed out to my first stop at the Elvis Presley Birthplace Home at 306 Elvis Presley Drive in Tupelo.  When I got there, a few cars were there and about 8 motorcycles from 4 couples out for a drive.  There were some Japanese there as well touring and a couple from Australia.  It wouldn't surprise me if this place becomes a National Monument some day.
Elvis's house is an old white shotgun style house built by his father.
On the park-like grounds is also the Pentecostal church where he attended as a boy, which was moved to this location.  It was originally one block away on Adams Street.  To make way for a larger church, this small chapel was moved and turned into a residence and then in 2008 moved to the Elvis Presley site and restored.
Also on the property is a lovely fountain and many bronze statues and tributes about the life of Elvis Presley.
Web photo
There is also a visitors center here and admission is charged to enter the home.  I didn't have any cash on me and it's just a shotgun house so there's probably not more than 2-3 rooms in the home, so I just enjoyed the grounds including all the hydrangeas in bloom.
Also on the grounds was Elvis's green car on loan from the Tupelo Auto Museum.
It was a fun trip and I'm sorry Scott could come...but he's not much into music let alone Elvis Presley.  If you're really into Elvis, I'd check out the museum, visitors center and tour the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment