Monday, April 9, 2018

Last Day in Olympia

Well, our time has come to a close in Olympia, Washington.  We've had a fun time - although I have to say my feet are still freezing from yesterday's post.  Brrr.  

I don't think I ever posed about the cool painted barn that I see everyday from the cap of our rig.  It's a multi-generational painting of people with trees, Mt. Rainier, the man in the moon, a dog, a barn, etc.  It's caught my eye the whole time we've been here and so I thought I'd share this with you.  It's hard to photograph well because of the overgrown bushes and large pine in the center, but it's still worth a mention.
Today was a bit rough as the electric went out when Scott was gone golfing with Jim and Jeff Walton to Riverside Golf in Chehalis, Washington and I was sitting in a cold RV.  I had just washed my hair and soon realized the heat went out...we're only on 30 amp so that may have something to do with it.  I decided to walked over to the laundry area hoping to find an outlet to dry my hair.  No outlet, but, I made a starting discovery!  They ARE showers here...right by our rig.  It's a nice bathroom, too - 3 stalls, 3 showers and 4 sinks!  The showers, ironically, are probably one of the nicest ones I've seen on our journey thus far.  Clean stalls and shower curtains.  Not a lick of mold anywhere!  I wasn't expecting to find this discovery!
While Scott was gone, I treated Roxy for a cold she has and wrapped us up in a quilt to stay warm.  She's had it about 4-5 days now and Coco and Chanel generally only act up when they are in our bedroom for some reason, but Roxy seems to have a constant cold or should I say stuffy nose.  So, I got out my doTERRA and applied some Melaleuca to her nasal passage, chest and pads followed by some breathe and then a bit of Eucalyptus...the same thing I use for a cold.  She seemed to do much better so I'll apply it to all the dogs tonight.  They were fine in El Centro, but once we got to Oregon and now Washington, they are acting up.  The only thing I can think of is either (1) the cold weather doesn't agree with them with the rig hot and cold or (2) we washed our top sheet twice that they lay on and used a Bounce dryer sheet and maybe that doesn't agree with them.  So, we took the top sheet over to Becky's and washed it and used Downey softener and we'll see if they do better.
After Scott, Jim and Jeff got home from golfing, we drove over to CostoCo and then Wal-Mart to find the socks Becky recommend but couldn't find them.  Boo-hoo.  Tonight, we went over to Becky and Jeff's place for a final dinner of Curry Chicken.  Becky did a fantastic job on the curry.  Nice and spicy - probably on of the best curry flavor I've ever tasted.  She used the typical curry and then added a secret ingredient of Hot Madras curry to spice it up nicely.  It gave the palate a nice assortment of spicy, salt, sweet, sour, bitter and umami (fermented) with the condiments of egg, peanut, bacon, green onion, browned coconut and mango chutney. Want the recipe?  Go down to the bottom of the post and I'll post it.
After dinner, we finished of the Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie with real vanilla bean ice-cream and played a little bit of Aggravation.  Scott won twice and Becky won once.
Thanks for a great visit!  We're so happy with their new place and the location it in.  It's it will be fun place to make some wonderful memories.  I wish we could be closer to be involved in more of them like Jeff's parents, but we'll be back about a year to make a few more.  I dropped of her 3 boxes of photos that I spend the last three months scanning so hopefully she'll take a look through her box and walk down Memory Lane with Jeff.  Now, it's time to start packing up for our next adventure back to Oregon along the Columbia River.

And, THANKS to Becky for the two pair of socks she gave me!  😊 Yea!  Now, my feet will be roasty-toasty warm while we head to Oregon and Idaho this week and cold Utah next week.

CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE

  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 lg Onion, diced
  • 3 Tbsp Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Curry
  • 1 lg Cooked Potato, diced (apple optional)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Ginger
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 2 cup cooked, cubed chicken
  • Jasmine Rice, prepared

Prepare all the condiments (below) and set aside.  Start cooking the Jasmine Rice.  Add all the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.  Saute onion in butter; remove from heat.  Add the dry ingredients (flour, curry, ginger salt and pepper) to onion mixture and blend.  Add chicken stock and milk and whisk together.  Add potato.  Simmer until thick.  Add chicken and heat through.  

Serve curry over rice with the following condiments:  peanuts, cooked and crumbled bacon, green onions, mango chutney, crumbled hard boiled eggs, broiled coconut on top.  Use as many toppings as desired.  The mango chutney is usually on top and then mix it all together for yummy dinner.  A nice cucumber salad (cucumbers thinly sliced, Italian dressing, green onion and green olives - chilled) or green salad would also be nice with this dinner.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment