Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Bjorklunden Chapel in Bailey's Harbor

Well, August 9th came all to quickly and we were leaving Door County for Bayfield, Wisconsin and the Apostle Islands.  I was quite teary-eyed to have to leave.  There was so much more to see in Door County and I felt so apart of the community, I was so extremely sad to leave.  Before we left though, I quickly drove over to the Bjorklunden Chapel (also called the Boynton Chapel) at 7590 Boynton Lane in Bailey's Harbor.  I passed the sign so many times driving here and there and I kept telling myself to make a note to self to remember to go.  Here's the history of Bjorklunden Chapel if you're interested.  This chapel reminded me of the Chapel in the Woods from our time in Rapid City.  Check out the photos of the exterior of the area right on the water...
The Bjorklunden (Boynton) Chapel is a little wooden building built after the Norwegian Stavkirke of 12th Century. Between 1939 and 1947, Donald and Winifred Boynton handcrafted this tiny church on the summer residence resembling the Garmo stave church at Maihaugen in Lillehammer, Norway.  It really popular for weddings and they have chapel tours during the summers from mid-June to late August on Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 1-4 p.m.  $5 per person for the tour.  There are 41 hand-painted frescoes and beautiful carved wood furnishing.  Here's some inside photos to enjoy!  I loved the carvings the best!
Here are a few photos of the outside building.
After leaving the chapel, I decided to drive down Chapel Lane instead of back on Boynton Road and discovered more homes on Frogtown Road.  Wow!  How could I have missed this road?  I guess there's more to discover in Bailey's Harbor.  We had driven though the Ridges area and over to the Moonlight Bay area but I didn't know there were homes in here!  My favorite was a house on the corner of Frogtown Road and Church Lane.  It's actually for sale for $790 but more than I'd pay but the view are amazing!  It looks right over to Bailey's Harbor and Lake Michigan!
Well, our time in Door County is now officially concluded and we're heading new sites.  Oh, how I'll miss Door County! 💖

No comments:

Post a Comment